Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

Field Trip #5


       Recently I visited the art marketplace of NYC and I had the opportunity to see some great works of art. I found very interesting how the whole neighborhood of Chelsea is full of galleries at every corner. What impressed me was the fact that I bumped into art related with my culture, because here, far from my country Romania, I don’t see it that often. Overall, I liked some works of art and I disliked others.

        First, I will tell you what I didn’t like and why. In the first Gallery I went, I was surprised that anybody lost time to create something like that. This was Anton Kern’s Gallery at 20th street. Between April 12 and May 18, 2013, the works of art of Richard Hughes are displayed. Exactly after you get in, you can see this huge works of art in a big room with high ceilings. The room looked like an image of Hurricane Sandy. In the room were these big broke poles hanging. One piece was titled “Pedestrian (Sketchy Freddy)” and it looked like a human’s legs. This is supposed to be architectural art, but I can’t see the beauty in it. A different work of art of Richard Hughes that I didn’t like was “Neapolitanz”. The piece was made of 3 painted polystyrene boards connected with each other. Again, I can’t see the beauty in this piece, as well the quality. And thinking that was for sale, made me think that taste in art is very diverse.

        After this unhappy experience, I bumped into my culture. We went to Yossi Milo Gallery on Tenth av. and I was surprised to see something similar with old Romanian costumes. This gallery was presenting Charles Freger’s exhibition of color photographs from eighteen European countries. The costumes represent changing the season, festivals and holidays. One that impressed me was “Cerbul” because brought back memories from childhood. In the photo was this costume of a stag that I used to dress up and I was going at people’s houses singing carols on New Year’s Eve. A different picture that I liked because of the same reason was “Ursul”. This is a costume of a bear and usually people go and sing carols around the Christmas holidays in large group accompanied by a person dressed like that. Usually the other people play musical instruments.

       To sum up, the galleries are very diverse and you can find works of art that you like and also that you don’t like. Besides the pictures of the costumes i found also a few interesting paintings in a different gallery so I invite everybody to check them out.

RICHARD HUGHES                     Charles Freger

"Pedestrian (Sketchy Freddy)"2013             "Cerbul" , 2010-2011

"Neapolitanz" 2013                                          "Ursul" , 201-2011






No comments:

Post a Comment